Exercise and Fall Prevention
The Exercise and Fall Prevention Collaborative was created to enhance the delivery, availability, and execution of exercise and fall prevention initiatives for older adults as part of a regional strategy. Areas of focus include education, risk assessment and exercise.
The Exercise and Fall Prevention Collaborative is working to develop a LHIN wide Exercise and Fall Prevention Strategy that will be used to help reduce the rate of falls within the Mississauga Halton LHIN.
The focus for 2016-2017 is the development and adoption of a Fall Prevention Framework. The objectives of the proposed framework are:
- Identify the shared responsibility among health and social service providers in fall prevention; everyone has a role in a safe and sustainable approach to fall prevention
- Support health service providers to address fall prevention with seniors, with actions that may include raising awareness, screening, assessment, and/or direction to the most appropriate interventions and resources for seniors across a continuum of health and well being
- Raise awareness of the available resources that address fall risk factors within the Mississauga Halton LHIN
- Identify areas of service gaps or where additional intervention resources are needed
- Recommend educational opportunities related to exercise and fall prevention
To support the Exercise and Fall Prevention Strategy the collaborative will host “Steady, Strong, and Safe” on March 22, 2017, a community event to promote awareness and embed a culture of fall prevention in the community.